At its Full Council meeting on the 10th of June 2019, Berkhamsted Town Council declared a Climate Emergency.
As a result, a Climate Action Steering Group was formed in order to devise the Council's strategy.
The Climate Action Steering Group reports to the Transport and Environment Committee
At its first meeting on the 8th July 2019, the Climate Action Steering Group agreed the following objectives:
- To provide leadership in order to achieve carbon neutrality in the community by 2030;
- To undertake practical measures within our powers to reduce the impact of the Council's activities on the environment;
- To work with all sectors of our community to publicise this declaration and develop initiatives and practical measures that will help our community towards achieving carbon neutrality;
- To call upon the Borough and Hertfordshire County Council systematically to review their services, planning regulations and Local Plans and implement measures to reduce their impact on the environment and climate breakdown;
- To call upon the Government to provide regulations and resources that will enable communities to meet the goal of carbon neutrality by 2030.
To achieve the delivery of these objectives, the Climate Action Steering Group formed three Working Groups